What is a Dental Crown and When Do I Need One?
A dental crown is a form of restorative care for a tooth that contains such a large cavity that it threatens the overall structure of the tooth or any other factor that has severely damaged a tooth. A dental crown completely covers, or caps, a tooth. The cap is placed over the tooth with a cementing material for the purpose of improving both the strength and appearance of a tooth.
A crown is placed:
- when tooth decay weakens, cracks or breaks a tooth
- when a filling is so large that there is hardly any tooth left
- to hold a bridge in place
- to cover a severely discolored tooth
Having a dental crown placed creates great advantages, including:
- A more natural look and feel of the tooth
- The cap can repair the tooth no matter how complex the fracture is
- A well-placed crown generally lasts five to eight years
- A crown will restore your ability to speak and chew
- A crown will improve your mouth’s overall appearance
Tips for Maintaining Your Dental Crowns
When it comes to dental crowns, once the crown has been placed, the first step is complete. The remaining steps to maintaining the new appearance and feel of the tooth is up to you.
The two most important things you can do to maintain the integrity of your new crown are:
- Proper Oral hygiene – remember to brush and floss at least twice a day
- Keep up with six-month exams – having your teeth examined bi-annually eliminates problems before they happen
What to Avoid After Getting a Dental Crown
Crowns are used to fix broken or missing teeth by creating a tooth-shaped cap to fit over the original. Typically crowns last 5 years. Once the crown has been placed, it is vital to protect the crown, just as you would any of your other natural teeth. First by following the two steps outlined above, and then by avoiding hazardous practices that could break down the crown, such as:
- fingernail biting
- chewing ice or hard foods
- grinding teeth
Contact Smile Solutions today and let us repair your damaged tooth with our state-of-the-art crowns that will improve your smile and give you years of peace of mind, as well as the highest quality of care.